Wintertime Cloning of Green Giant Arborvitae & Murray Cypress
Evergreens, such as Green Giant Arborvitae or Murray Cypress or Emerald Green are easy to reproduce.
Taking cuttings from an existing plant and getting it to root is a type of asexual reproduction called cloning.
Important details to consider:
- Cutting should be around 6-12”
- Dark cold, humid places are preferred the first 1-2 months
- Soft root growing medium such as sand, peat moss or leaf compost preferred
- Remove the bottom leaves and leaf just a minimum of green foliage on the cutting
- Basement window is sufficient light for this stage, but later more light should be introduced, such as putting the plants outside or under LED light
Growing landscape ready trees from cutting is fun, but takes time and patience.
For more information:
Shop our store for Green Giant / American Pillar Arborvitae and Murray / Leyland Cypress: